Friday, December 3, 2010

Reading Comp No. 7

My group, the black sea, was chosen to chose a piece from the collection called "In the Studio". This collection was very captivating to me, and laid the idea of studio out. A studio is where people create their own identity, and show it through art. the ideas and perceptions they have of themselves are expressed by contour lines and movement. All of the pieces used the media of pen or pencil and other everyday art utensils, which somehow related back to being a student. We all start off with the easy materials, then work our way into using better quality ones after having some experience. I feel this related to the audience and I on a personal level. The piece that I wanted to study most was Paul Cadmus', "Dancer with the red hairband". The simplicity of the drawing combined with the title itself is what creates the story in this piece of art. It makes your mind wonder. This type of art is what I enjoy looking at; simple, yet touching. The style used in the piece was cross hatching. Cadmus used it for shadowing. The fluid lines make the drawing feel like this moment was a pause in the time of business and that this part of action, was crucial to put onto paper. Again, making the mind wonder of what this dancer could be thinking about. All of the pieces in the studio collection remind me of the beginnings of ideas. Like they are trying to find inspiration for their projects, or just inspiration for themselves. Creating an identity is something that will last a lifetime. Massey said that the accent is placed on process rather then form (pg 216), and I believe this statement fits well into this idea of going through a process to create an identity rather then focusing on the exact form of your work.
My diagram showed the idea of the possible future outline that the dancer will make. I did this because this is how the drawing made me personally feel when I analyzed it. I used simple, swift lines to show movement and dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment